Live...laugh...love Life with 4 kids 6 and under. Our trip to pick up Tonito in China is: mid-March 2008 through April 12. Our trips to pick up Ricky in Ethiopia are in June and August of 2010.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Nian Gao


For our Chinese feast, we had dumplings (crescent-shaped Jiaozi are a symbol of wealth and prosperity because they resemble ancient Chinese money), a mushroom dish, fried rice, and baby bok choy. For dessert we made a rice cake...


In getting ready for CNY, I got out some books from the library. One of them we read was this book: The Runaway Rice Cake" by Ying Chang Compestine. Then we followed the included recipe and made the rice cake (Nian Gao). The story is like the Gingerbread Man, except it is Chinese New Year in China, and the rice cake runs away.

Here is the recipe from the book- we made it tonight and it is SO easy and the kids loved it. I got the 2 rice flours at an Asian supermarket (ok, randomly I had them in my pantry bc I made this rice flour play dough last year for CNY- but I guess the flour was still good!?:) I thought you guys might like it! Xin nian kuai le!:) It is really, really good, and very sweet- I doubt you will find a kid who wouldn't like it.

1.5 c glutinous rice flour

1 c rice flour

1 c sugar

1/4 c dried cherries (I used cherry-flavored cranberries)

1/4 c raisins

1 c nuts (I used almonds)

1 c water

Combine everything except water. Add water.

Spray a pie tin with Pam. Pour batter in pan.

Put the pan in a steamer (I used my veggie steamer that has 2 separate compartments but you could rig something up in a big soup pot.)

Steam fo 20 min until the nian gao is translucent.

Remove it onto a plate and cut into wedges when cool.

No comments: